Targus’ Big Steps, Small Environmental Footprints
Celebrating Earth Day
Happy Earth Day 2022! Today we’re celebrating Earth Day by inviting you to join us in taking big steps but leaving small environmental footprints, whether at home, at the office, at play, or on the road less traveled. If you are unsure about where to start, we put together some actionable ways you can take part in Earth Day today and every day! But first, let’s cover some “going-green” basics.
What is “Greenwashing” and Why is it Bad?
Greenwashing is when companies and brands make unsubstantiated claims about the environmental benefits of their products. You have probably already seen greenwashing online or on social media today!
With consumer and B2B brands greenwashing their efforts on Earth Day, Targus opts for a year-round sustainability journey, one that brought to life our Cypress EcoSmart® collection, thoughtfully powered by fabric woven from up to 26 recycled waters bottles, meeting the Global Recycled Standard (GRS) certification.
Making Eco-Conscious Decisions
Making eco-conscious decisions can go beyond revisiting your spending habits at the point of purchase and can put a smile on someone’s face, too. Considering that the United States Environmental Protection Agency estimates “landfills received 11.3 million tons of municipal solid waste (MSW) textiles in 2018” your decision to regift that blazer in the back of your closet is a collective thread in the fabric of the circular economy. Choosing high-quality items and ditching “fast fashion” by supporting brands that stand behind the life of their product sends a strong message to online and brick-and-mortar retailers. At Targus, we offer a lifetime-limited warranty on laptop cases, bags and backpacks because we want you to take us with you, every step of the way.
Fun Ways to Participate in Earth Day
So you’ve ditched fast fashion, regifted that alumni sweater, and are ready for fun ways to participate in Earth Day, right? Here are some of our favorite ways to participate:
- Join or start a beach cleanup. What better way to catch a tan while also being kind to mother nature? Find a beach cleanup near you.
- Be car-free. Give that unused bicycle some miles or opt for a walk to your favorite local spot.
- Recycle e-waste. Those old cell phones, photo copiers and VCRs are not vintage; it’s time to let go.
- Swap single-use plastic. Water bottles, food containers, straws, bags, can all be swapped for reusable materials (bonus points for biodegradable reusable materials.)
- Switch to online billing.
- Conserve water and consider a low flow shower head. You can still shower and for our sake, please do, but be mindful that those 30-minute showers use 75 gallons of water, according to watercalculator.org.
- Enjoy nature! What better way to enjoy Earth Day then to get out in nature, take a nice walk and enjoy the fresh spring air or pack a picnic with your family and friends and appreciate the beauty you want to preserve.
- Join the conversation on social media! Tag @Targus on social media and let us know how you’re celebrating!